Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wal-market

I guess I will post a blog since it's only 1:15am.  I fly out to Romania today at lunch with 9 of our youth (the Seniors that I teach to be more accurate), and several other youth leaders and adults.  I am looking forward to this except for two very large obstacles.... leaving Beth and Levi, and having to come back and clean up the chaos that I can barely maintain when I am here.  I am, however, excited to see what God will do through this opportunity with these young people.  It will be an amazing sight to behold, and I can't help but be the most excited about how this will effect the hearts of our youth as it did me when I was 21 in Honduras. Please pray for us as we travel and as we try to connect with young people inside a culture we have never experienced.  

With all that being said, I promised a couple of the guys that are going on the trip that I would hang out with them late tonight.  I love spending time with these guys and I know that we need to stay up so that we can sleep through a 14 hour flight tomorrow.  Most of these youth have not been on an oversees flight and may not understand the severity of jet-lag.  They now understand Matt-lag though, because I'm now to the age where I get super tired at 11pm.  I can't tell you how many times I've had someone over trying to be a cool "late-night rebel" like I did when I was their age... Usually in 30 minutes I fall asleep with my head all hung over slobbering on my shirt.  That is sign language for any guest that states, "Maybe you should come back some other time.... and earlier one".  They leave, and I wake up 4 hours later to a wet arm, throbbing neck, and an info-mercial trying to sell me a foot exfoliator

So, I go to Josh's apartment and hang out for a while.  We just watched some Chinese game shows on You Tube mostly.  It's a huge waste of time, but very hilarious.  Those people are brutal.  I think some of them would dig off their own leg with a metal spork for 5,000 yen.  So since we're on the subject of China at the time, Kevin mentions that he wants to make a "midnight Walmart run".  I absolutely hate Walmart, and I am passionate about that...  I thrive on every opportunity to talk someone out of buying China crap.  It's the best-case scenario for me though.  I mean, it's after midnight... so we won't have to deal with lines, loud PA announcements you can't begin to understand , rednecks on Nextels at 1100 decibels, and drunk shirtless people beating their kids.  Anyhow, back to my point.  I always find myself walking around Walmart and looking at stuff wondering, "How long would that last me?"  I think America must think that way when they shop at Walmart for anything that can't be consumed.  "This TV may only last 6 months, but it's $47!!"  See for me, that's too much work... and $500 over 5 years to continue watching a 19" TV.  Beth will tell you, when I buy something... I research it, and buy the best I can for what I am willing to spend.  Guess what, my junk last longer than theirs.  In my experience, I either go to Walmart to find something.... and can't find it, or I talk myself into buying a $20 stereo for work which breaks in 2 weeks.... but kinda sucked in the first place.  

I am convinced that Walmart has it's own city in China.  The people there (in WaaaMaat city) sit around drinking Chinese beer (which is probably nasty too), sniffing poppy's, and pulling random parts off a sagging China made shelf to make their next "name brand" mp3 player or computer. They don't get paid much, but hey... it's a cake job.  They get to do whatever they want, and it doesn't matter if what they are making is complete junk.  Actually, they probably prefer that it is junk so as to hold the reputation and not make the other trillion things they export look like crap.  I guess my experience tonight (I haven't been to Walmart in months) was not out of the ordinary for me, but it did make me think.  Sure, it provides thousands of jobs across the country.... but I still think that overall Walmart is a huge stab to the American economy as a whole.  I challenge you, that next time you are in Walmart (hopefully because someone knocked you out and put you there), just try and find something non-consumable that is made in America.  If you look very very hard, you may.  I remember I found a plastic hat-washing thing that was made in the USA once.... Anyhow, I left the store buying $16 of toiletries needed for the trip.  I glanced back at a vast warehouse of junk and was thankful that I had gas in my tank to carry me away.  Sure am glad I don't drive a Chinese truck....

2 comments:

Lindsey Broere said...

This is coming from a slightly rusty economist and a realist...and a pretty dorky one...we NEED Walmart...we NEED China (even though I HATE to say that--you know my feelings about China--well--the Chinese government) for the cheap goods that we demand and can't be made here. I'm all for job growth here...but just that--job growth...not job protection. That just can't happen in today's globalized markets...

I totally agree with you on the drunk, shirtless people who beat up on their kids...I avoid that place like the plague after about 5pm. After 5, its like those people just come out of the woodwork.

I can't wait to hear about Romania! We'll be praying for you guys!

The Beaver Bunch said...

Praying for your trip, too. I can't believe it's been that long since you've been to Wal-mart. How do you guys survive? I MUST go every 2 weeks (if not more, ie..we're currently out of diapers) just so we can get by. As I'm typing this I realize that you all have already met at the church and are in route to the airport. So, I hope you had a great trip and I can't wait to hear all about it.