Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Romania 2008



This is the post that I'm sure several hoped for, but wasn't sure whether to expect or not. As you may have noticed, I don't normally type up a very "serious" post. I do, in fact, try to live on the lighter side of life, but I also try to incorporate my humor and jocosity only where appropriate. These circumstances are those where the chances are minimal for the attitude could be di
stracting from our true purpose in life. This is another long post, but I hope you stick with me and enjoy it as I attempt to illustrate how God's Kingdom grew in this awesome opportunity. When an time allows, please see one of the Senior student's devotions regarding the trip HERE.

With this in mind, I have to mention why I enjoy being a youth leader at Rich Fork Baptist Church. I have done so since 2003 where I began by occassionally teaching the 8th grade, which by chance was the same group of students I taught for the last three years and have just recently graduated. I often say that these students teach me more than I do them. This holds true because with every interaction with them, I learn more about today's youth, and my abilities to reach them. It's sad to say that I have now been out of high school for 9 years, and the schools are not quite the same. The struggles, however, are very similar. I learn more about God's nature and man's constant failures when I arrange lessons on them. It's very educational when students ask me for opinions and give me their own. This is no ordinary group of Seniors, but a very mature and very gifted group. They are servants at heart with joyful dispositions, but are still somewhat impressionable as 18 year olds often are. You need understand the background of this class to help you digest the details of this trip.

Nine students signed up to be part of this Romania team. I was excited to see so many commit to the trip and work hard to earn the money that was required. Another 9 adults attended which includes 2 Youth Leaders (myself and Scot Edwards) and the Youth Minister, Matt. I knew our students had no idea what they were about to experience. I will never forget my first mission trip to Honduras, because there were so many "firsts" involved. It was an experience in which I felt the spirit move so powerfully that it gave me a whole new understanding of showing the face of Jesus to the lost. That is what we intended to take to Romania. Our purpose was to host a camp for children from tiny villages near Oradea. We picked up 40 children, ages 8 to 19, at the church Monday morning around 10am and drove another hour or two to the camp. On this ride, we met children from every background imaginable, and most of them were very poor. We were amazed at how small the baggage was on each child's shoulder for a full week of camp, but we were still ignorant to what baggage they were dragging emotionally.

We arrived and immediately began forming bonds and friendships with these children, most of whom spoke little or no English.  I quickly learned how to play a barefoot "Futbol" game on the dirt tennis court. I basically learned the rules from several "charades" conversations with my young impatient Romanian teamate after every play I messed up. It was kind of funny, I just couldn't understand what he was trying so hard to tell me.  Matt Bryant got it easy. Once I learned the game, I explained it to him in English. Once these kids saw that I could play alright, I gained their respect as someone they could relate with because I used to play "Futbol" in high school. It was the same way with every one of these Seniors with one added advantage.... youth. These youth are 18, and much closer to these campers ages than I am. It's amazing to see how God plans these things out so well. Each one of these Rich Fork youth connected with several of the children in a way that another could not. For example, we have one youth that is outgoing, funny, has tons of energy, and apparently a passion for children. He constantly had at least 3 boys that were about 8 to 12 years old hanging from his shoulders. This is only one example though. Every youth was perfectly matched with the personalities of some of these children. They attached, they laughed, they played, they prayed, the Holy Spirit moved, and lives were changed on both sides of the spectrum. God's plan was, as it always is.... perfect.



Each student gave their personal testimony at some point during the camp. Although each testimony was precious and unique, most began with being raised in a Christian home. Mine begins this way as well. Three Romanian teens from 18 to 19 years of age gave their testimonies during the week too. Each of them received Christ at one of the camps from the years before and were comfortable telling their story. One of them in particular was a very polite boy that I loved being around. He admitted to all that he ended up in an orphanage after birth and was practically ignored until the age of 6. At the age of six, he was still unable to feed or dress himself. He failed to thrive the first 6 years of his life because no one spent the time to nourish and educate him in any way. I remember my eyes welling with tears as the translator spoke, "Think of what a child should be capable of doing when he is 6 years old. I could not feed myself, I could barely communicate, and I was still as helpless as an infant". From there he spoke of how God wrapped him in His arms and found someone that taught him these basic fundamentals. I think the boy is 18 now and is full of strong Christian values because of God's grace in his life. I had no idea that several of the children at this camp would relate to that story, but they did. These children left the worship area in tears and were immediately comforted by a leader, adult, translator, or friend. That Thursday night, 3 children made the decision to ask Jesus to be their savior. I knew it would have been more had their pride not stood in the way. It was evident that the enemy was working too, but it was obvious who would reign in their hearts. I went to bed thanking God for allowing me to witness it, and praying hard for broken spirits in the next 24 hours.

Friday night, all the youth, children, and teens were the closest and most comfortable with each other that they were going to be before leaving. Bodies were tired, minds were in furious debate, and the Spirit was as course and heavy as a mountain fog on that camp. An invitation was given (which you must understand, is a very foreign concept to them), and a long prayer was translated. I lifted my head after several minutes to see 19 children, all in tears, standing at the front. God had softened their hearts and lifted all shame and distractions. His Spir
it overpowered the misconceptions and lies of the enemy, and saved young souls that night. I was unable to find a neck that was not being hugged by a student or another adult. My eyes searched the room as I saw my Senior class, each with their new brothers and sisters, sharing tears of joy with these children. They finally understood the words they had heard Steven and Emily sing in worship all week, "I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind but now I see." My mind, lips, and soul were speechless. I could do nothing, I could think nothing. I could only savor the overwhelming joy that surged through my mind and heart. My eyes hold back tears as I re-live this experience now, but at that particular moment there were too many emotions to even outwardly express. I do not remember feeling like that in all of my life. I found the nearest shoulder and grabbed it, and coincidentally it was a 16 boy that is very similar to me 12 years ago. I watched the Spirit continue to move as my students and these Romanian 
kids sat down to pray with the pastor. 

I have never heard of a universal language, and have never considered the fact that the Holy Spirit is exactly that, and much more. Words were not needed for these Senior students.... not for this occasion. They sat and "emptied their cups" that night. They sat with these children for 30 minutes, listening to a language that they could not understand. But it did not matter. Hearing 19 young Romanian children praying out loud in their native tongue asking Jesus to enter their lives... was one of the most beautiful sounds I have heard. It was not until a day later that I even considered the fact that I could not consciously understand the words being spoken.  My son is only 6 months old, and I can only pray that I will one day be as proud of him as I was of these 9 youth that poured their hearts and souls into these children in the past week. The adults were important, but it was so obvious that God had these Seniors there for a huge reason. My pride for their accomplishments in athletics, education, and music are pale in comparison with the pride I felt for the lives they allowed God to change through them on this trip. Their lives, along with mine, have certainly been changed, and I will continue to pray for them as they head to college. I will pray specifically that they never lose sight of what they physically can not see, that they never conform to this deceptive world, and that they never forget God's love for an obedient heart.

Thank you, Rich Fork c/o 2008... from all four of us. You are more friends than students, and now more adults than teens. We love you and we will always been an ear to listen to you, a shoulder to cry on, and a home to visit.


6 comments:

Only Servants Ministries said...

Beautiful Matt! I mean- I'm already proud of our students- but that just put me over the top. Makes me miss them so much. Wish I was there to hear them talk about their trip. Thank you so much for filling me in. I love you so much and I'm so thankful that God showed up in such a huge way...

my heart literally can't wait for you to come out here. I think about taking you, beth, and Levi into the depths of the Slums...

i am forever changed

Lindsey Broere said...

WOW, Matt..that was beautiful! You have yourself an amazing group of kids and have every reason in the world to be so proud of them.

What an amazing God we serve!

Can't wait to get together with you guys...hopefully soon :-)

Natasha said...

What an experience!!! And you recollected it perfectly...

Wow!! We do serve a merciful, ever present, compassionate, POWERFUL, and PERFECT God!!

And...those seniors...AMAZING!! Our schools need more teenagers like the great examples at Rich Fork.

Thanks again for sharing.

The Beaver Bunch said...

Thanks for telling the story of these youth, who would be too humble to share of their own sacrifices and immeasurable talents. Glad you're home safe.

Our Journey to Rwanda said...

Matt- thanks for sharing it all so very clearly. I could feel myself there all over again- what beautiful students that my heart will forever be tied to.
- Emily

Vonda said...

Matt, Great post. From the video and candid moments I gather that a lot of laughter was part of this great ministry. You're doing a good job downstairs in the youth dept. They'll remember your example. -Brent